With March 2020 soon approaching, a lot of Australian student visas are going to expire. So, what can be done next? What are the best possible opportunities?

Read this post if you are one among them.

If you are student visa is expiring in March or the coming months, you must be looking for the next step. 

On the basis of your study course, occupation, and relationship status, you can extend your stay in the country after graduation. But before you move ahead it is best to get your eligibility check with Debika Migration Services and filter out the exact options for you.

Here we list some of the best possibilities.


1. Apply for 482 Visa


If you are working and your employer is willing to sponsor you, it is best to apply for a Temporary Skill Shortage (482) visa. You can apply for this visa if your occupation is mentioned in the list for short-term skilled occupations and medium-term skilled occupations in Australia.

Having prior experience will give you an edge for visa approval. However, it is essential that your employer is an approved sponsor. If they are not, the employer must seek approval from Standard Business Sponsor. Only then they can nominate you to fill the position in their business.

If in case your student visa expires before you get approval for the 482 visa, you will be granted a bridging visa.

An important thing to remember is that labor marketing testing is needed for most of the 482 visa applications. It will take at least 28 days. Hence, you must file an application immediately.


2. Apply for a Graduate Visa


The other available option is to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485). It has two streams:

  • Graduate Work Stream
  • Post Study Work Stream

The visa duration you can apply for depends on your qualifications. If you are a graduate with a bachelor’s degree, you will gain a two-year visa. A Ph.D. graduate can get a visa for a four-year.

For most of the applications, an English language proficiency test is needed. It is not mandatory that your occupation must be listed on the Skilled Occupation List.


3. Apply for 407 Training Visa


The Training Visa (Subclass 407) is a viable option for students with less or limited work experience. This visa grants approval to people to undertake study-related or professional training in their preferred field.

You can apply for this visa if you have worked in a full-time occupation or studied for at least 12 months. 

There is no fixed validity assigned to this visa. The length of the visa depends on the duration of training.

While holding this visa you can work only as a sponsor and must work for at least 30 hours every week.


4. Apply for Partner Visa


A few students may find a partner in Australia, holding a permanent resident or citizenship of the country. In such cases, students can apply for a partner visa.

You must check with the guidelines and eligibility criteria of a partner visa from a registered migration company to know your eligibility for this visa. 

If your partner is also on a visa like a temporary visa, training visa, or any other, you can apply as a dependent. Also, if your partner’s application for PR is pending, you can add to that and gain a residency visa.


5. Apply for Permanent Residency 


A few international and graduate students can apply for permanent residency under the program of General Skilled Migration.

However, to get approval for this visa you have to submit numerous documents along with the application. Also, the visa approval requires 12 weeks or more.

If you are unable to get visa approval before the expiry of your student visa, you may have to leave Australia. 

If you are short on time, we suggest applying for a subclass 485 visa. After that, you can apply for a permanent residency visa under the General Skilled Migration program. 

Alternatively, you can plan to continue your education by applying for a study visa for a higher qualification. Though it is an expensive option, you can gain visa approval fast and hone your skills further.

To know which option is most suitable for you and what is the eligibility criterion for the same, contact Debika Migration Services.