Frequently Asked  

We answer some common questions people have about the Australian permanent residency, MARA Agents and the visa application process.

You can become a permanent resident of Australia by applying for and being granted a permanent visa that allows you to remain in Australia indefinitely. Three common ways of becoming a permanent resident are through gaining:
  • a family-stream permanent visa
  • a work-stream permanent visa
  • business or investor-stream permanent visa

If your visa has a “no further stay” condition attached, you cannot stay in Australia beyond the period specified in your visa to apply for permanent residency.

You can check the processing times for your visa application here.

These are for:
  • partners, children, parents or dependent relatives of an Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia or Eligible New Zealand citizen
  • children being adopted or in the process of being adopted outside of Australia
  • carers who need to move to Australia to provide long-term care for an approved relative

These are for skilled professionals who have skills that Australia values or workers who have an Australian employer sponsoring them to work in Australia.

These are for entrepreneurs, investors and business owners to continue their activity in Australia.

If you are applying for a visa to live and work in Australia, then the visa application process looks like this:
  • Skill Assessment – If you need skill assessment as part of your visa application, you should get your skills assessed by a relevant assessing authority. The Assessing authority will provide you necessary information regarding the skill assessment and the forms to be filled. The skill assessment authority charges you separately.
  • State Nomination – If state sponsorship is applicable to the visa application, it is considered.
  • Competent English Skills – You must provide proof you have at least competent English, if it is required as part of your visa application.
  • Expression of Interest – You need to submit an expression of interest (EOI) detailing your work experience and qualifications before you are invited to apply for the visa.
  • Visa Lodgement – Once you are invited by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA), you can then apply for your visa.
Only certain people can assist you with your visa application. This is called Immigration Assistance. If you appoint someone to give you immigration assistance, they must be:
  • a registered migration agent
  • a legal practitioner
Only registered migration agents and legal practitioners can charge for immigration assistance.
If you want professional help, you can use a migration agent registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA). You don’t have to use a migration agent to apply for a visa.

A registered migration agent cannot:

  • fast-track the processing period
  • guarantee you a visa

To find a registered migration agent, search the Register of Migration Agents. You can search the Register by:

  • location
  • name, or
  • the migration agent registration number (MARN).

The registered migration agent (RMA) consumer guide is provided by the RMA to consumers seeking immigration assistance from an RMA.

The consumer guide outlines:

  • the role of RMAs
  • who is authorised to provide immigration assistance, and
  • how consumers can lodge complaints about RMAs to the OMARA.

Becoming a citizen by conferral is a common way to become an Australian citizen. You and everyone included in the application must be a permanent resident and meet the residence, character and other criteria to be eligible to apply.

Australian skilled migration is a program designed to attract highly skilled workers from overseas to fill shortages in the Australian labor market.

To qualify, you typically need to have skills and experience in occupations listed on the relevant skilled occupation list, meet minimum English language requirements, and pass a skills assessment.

The Skilled Occupation List (SOL) is a list of occupations in high demand in Australia. To be eligible for skilled migration, your occupation must be on this list.

The subclass 189 visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, state, or family member. The subclass 190 visa requires nomination by an Australian state or territory government.

It depends on the visa subclass. The subclass 189 visa does not require a job offer, but some other skilled visas, such as the subclass 190 and subclass 491 visas, may require nomination by an employer or state/territory government.

A skills assessment is an evaluation of your qualifications and work experience by a relevant assessing authority to determine if they meet the requirements for your nominated occupation. It is typically required for skilled migration applications.

You can check the Skilled Occupation Lists provided by the Department of Home Affairs or consult with a registered migration agent for guidance.

English language requirements vary depending on the visa subclass and the occupation. Generally, applicants need to demonstrate proficiency in English by achieving specified scores in recognized English language tests such as IELTS, PTE, or TOEFL.

Yes, many skilled migration visas allow you to include your spouse/partner and dependent children in your application.

The points test is used to assess the eligibility of skilled migration applicants based on various factors such as age, English language proficiency, work experience, qualifications, and other criteria. Applicants must score a minimum number of points to be eligible.

If you don’t score enough points to meet the minimum requirement, you may explore options to improve your score, such as gaining more work experience, obtaining a higher level of English proficiency, or completing additional qualifications.

Processing times vary depending on the visa subclass, the completeness of your application, and other factors. Generally, processing times can range from several months to over a year.

Depending on your current visa and circumstances, you may be eligible to apply for a skilled migration visa while in Australia. However, you must ensure that you meet all the requirements and conditions for the new visa.

While there is no maximum age limit for most skilled migration visas, points are awarded based on age, with maximum points usually available to applicants under a certain age threshold.

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa allows skilled workers to live and work in regional areas of Australia on a permanent basis. It requires sponsorship by an employer in a designated regional area.

In some cases, extensive work experience may be accepted in lieu of formal qualifications, provided it is assessed as equivalent by the relevant assessing authority.

Health insurance is not a requirement for skilled migration applications, but it is recommended to have adequate health cover, especially if you are moving to Australia on a temporary visa.

Skilled migrants are typically required to adhere to the conditions of their visa, including maintaining employment in their nominated occupation for a certain period (if applicable) and complying with Australian laws and regulations.

Yes, skilled migrants may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship after meeting residency requirements, including holding permanent residency for a specified period.

If your application is refused, you may have the option to appeal the decision or reapply after addressing any issues identified in the rejection notice. It’s advisable to seek advice from a registered migration agent or immigration lawyer.