Every year, nearly 500,000 international students come to Australia to further their education. Australia is a popular destination not only for students from around the world but also for those looking to migrate. We will tell you how to get PR in Australia with a student visa if you are planning to migrate to Australia for studies. Students come to Australia to study and then decide to stay and apply for a Permanent Residence Visa once their studies are completed. It is critical to select a course of study after thoroughly researching its future prospects and chances of obtaining a PR. 


Aside from the course, there are several other factors to consider.

  • Age of the applicant
  • Qualifications in education
  • Language proficiency in English
  • Experience at work
  • Partner’s abilities (wherever applicable)


With the Australian economy thriving, graduates look for job opportunities after finishing their studies. Candidates seeking to work in Australia as permanent residents (PR) can take one of several paths that lead to permanent residency status. The three most common routes are Post Study Work Visa, Employer Nomination Scheme, and Skilled Migration.


What is the definition of a Permanent Resident (PR)?

A permanent resident of Australia has the same rights as a citizen. A citizen may enter or leave the country at any time; however, if a PR citizen wishes to travel abroad, he must have a permanent visa and a valid travel authorization. Australian permanent residents are Australian residents who have a PR visa but are not citizens of Australia. After a certain period of time, permanent residents are eligible to become Australian citizens.


How to become a Permanent Resident?

Following graduation, many international students apply for permanent residency. To do so, they must ‘express interest’ in the Skill Select migration program of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. It is an Australian government online service through which students can apply for a skilled visa by submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI). Candidates must provide personal information, work experience information, a nominated occupation, and English language proficiency information. Aside from that, they must provide information on skill assessments related to the nominated occupations.


Typically, graduates apply for a Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189). It is a point-based system for skilled workers between the ages of 18 and 49 who have not been sponsored by a family member or employer or nominated by a state government. In addition to submitting an EOI, candidates must complete a skills assessment. The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) allows candidates to work and live permanently in Australia.


The three most common student visa options are discussed in depth:


Post Study Work Visa

The Post Study Work Visa is a two-year visa that allows students to work freely. Candidates must have completed a two-year full-time study program, typically a bachelor’s or master’s degree, to be eligible for this visa. However, many students discover after finishing their studies that they are ineligible for permanent residence. They either do not have a sponsor or do not have enough points for skilled migration. As a result, the Post Study Work Visa is used to fulfill the requirements for obtaining a permanent visa.


Skilled Migration

Skilled migration is a permanent visa program that is granted based on the candidate’s skills and work experience and does not require an employer to sponsor you. Aside from that, candidates must demonstrate their English language proficiency and pass a points test. Points are awarded based on a variety of factors, including the applicant’s age, educational background, and English language proficiency.


Employer-Sponsored Visas

Another popular way to obtain a long-term visa is through an employer-sponsored visa. Many candidates who do not meet the requirements for skilled migration apply for an employer-sponsored visa. A candidate for this visa must first obtain a temporary visa (subclass 482) and work in Australia for at least three years for your sponsoring employer before applying for a permanent visa. Candidates can apply directly for permanent residence (186 visa) in some cases, but employers prefer the TSS 482 visa pathway.