Under the new trade agreement, more young Brits will benefit from life-changing opportunities Down Under thanks to the expansion of the Youth Mobility Scheme and Working Holiday Maker (WHM) program.
New Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa arrangements for UK passport holders
Under the new arrangements, UK passport holders will be able to:
- apply for a Working Holiday visa between the ages of 18 and 35 years inclusive from 1 July 2023.
From 1 July 2024
- UK passport holders can be granted up to three separate Working Holiday visas without having to meet any specified work requirements.
The new arrangements will apply to all Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa applications for UK passport holders lodged from the date the relevant change commences.
Increased Eligible Age Range
- Current age range is 18 – 30 years inclusive.
- From 1 July 2023, the upper limit will increase to 35 years.
- UK passport holders can lodge an application for WHM (subclass 417) visa until midnight (AEST) on the day before their 36th birthday.
Removal of ‘specified work’ requirements
From 1 July 2024, UK passport holders will not have to show that they have done at least three or six months of ‘specified work’ when applying for a second or third Working Holiday visa on or after this date.
Maximum stay of three years
- Current arrangement of three separate visas granted for 12 months each will not change.
- From 1 July 2024, UK passport holders will not have to meet any specified work requirements when applying for a second and third Working Holiday visa.
- Can apply for a first, second and third Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa at any time while they still meet the eligible age requirement.
- UK Citizens do not need to stay in Australia for three years in a row.
- Applicants can lodge applications for second and third Working Holiday (subclass 417) visas in or outside Australia.
|Example 1: Amanda has previously held her first Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa in Australia. She turned 31 years old in April 2023.
When the age limit is increased on 1 July 2023, Amanda can apply for a second (and third) Working Holiday visa(s) up until the age of 35 years. If she lodges her application on or after 1 July 2024, she will not need to meet any specified work requirements.
Example 2: Bridget was in Australia on her first Working Holiday visa (a ‘COVID-19 affected visa’) on 20 March 2020 when COVID-19 travel restrictions were imposed. She returned to the UK during the pandemic.
She was later granted a Working Holiday visa with no Visa Application Charge, which replaced her ‘COVID-19 affected visa’. She can now access a maximum of two more Working Holiday visas, as the visa she held during COVID-19 no longer counts towards the maximum of three visas.
If she lodges her applications on or after 1 July 2024, she will not need to meet the specified work requirement.
|Example 3: Colin was in Australia on his second Working Holiday visa (a ‘COVID-19 affected visa’) on 20 March 2020 when COVID-19 travel restrictions were imposed. Because of the pandemic, he could not complete the six months of specified work required to apply for a third visa. He was granted a COVID-19 Pandemic event (subclass 408) visa to remain in Australia.
If Colin can meet the specified work requirements while holding a COVID-19 Pandemic event (subclass 408) visa, he can apply for a third Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa.
Alternatively, from 1 July 2024, he will be able to apply for a third visa without having to meet any specified work requirements.
Example 4: Doug is currently in Australia on his first Working Holiday visa, which is in effect until March 2024. If Doug wishes to apply for a second Working Holiday visa without undertaking any specified work, he will need to wait until 1 July 2024 to lodge his application.
When his first visa ceases, Doug can choose to leave Australia and apply for his second Working Holiday visa from outside Australia. If he wishes to remain in Australia, he will need to apply for a different visa to remain lawful after his first Working Holiday visa ceases.
DMS Migration Services
MARA REGISTERED AGENT